Jack Lemon

It is with much sadness that we record the passing, on 9th August, of Captain J.B.E.Lemon, former Director and Chief Marine Superintendent.
Captain Lemon had not been in good health for the last couple of years, but continued to be quite active with his various interests. He became ill a few days before his death, having just returned from a holiday in Italy with his family.
As readers may remember reading in the Newsletter of March 1982, Captain Lemon retired at that time after serving for fifty years with the Company. He joined as an Apprentice in March 1932 and, after quite an eventful war service, with two ships on which he served becoming victims of mines, he eventually came ashore in 1957 as a Superintendent and later became Chief Marine Superintendent. In August 1973 he was made a Director of Sir William Reardon Smith & Sons Limited and of Reardon Smith Line PLC in February 1975. Captain Lemon was much respected and a well liked member of the Company. His ability and willingness to listen and give helpful advice with any problems has been appreciated by so many people over the years, as was the fact he shared his knowledge and ideals with his colleagues at sea. His natural ability to deal with problems in such a manner as to leave people with renewed confidence was a gift not given to everyone. His loyalty to the Company was wholehearted and solid - a quality which formed part of his character. Captain Lemon displayed the same quality in his constant support of The Missions to Seamen in Cardiff, where he was a very active
member of the Committee and was also on a wider Committee - that of the Welsh Council of The Missions to Seamen.
Captain Lemon will certainly be missed by the Cricketers of Reardon Smith. Since his retirement, he has maintained a keen interest. He attended the Annual Dinner of the Club and appeared with regularity at matches, wherever they were held. Only this season he chided them about a match abandoned due to early season rain, whilst other games at Blackweir (Cardiff) had continued. The team will miss him patrolling the boundary, no doubt horrified by their mistakes, but always coming over at the end with encouragement.
Jack Lemon will always be affectionately remembered and very much missed not only by his olleagues, but all those with whom he came into contact in all the various interests he had, both through business and otherwise. Our deepest sympathy is extended to Mrs. Lemon and their twin daughters at this very sad time. Printed in the RSL Newsletter August 1984. No. 174.


Captain J.B.E. Lemon retired at the end of March, having completed fifty years with the Company, joining as an Apprentice on 14th March 1932. At the outbreak of the Second World War, he was three days off Land's End serving as Third Officer on the s.s. "LEEDS CITY", with Captain Ward as Master, bound for Manchester with a full cargo of lumber from Vancouver. Two days off Land's End, they passed the Company's first war casualty, the m.v. "VANCOUVER CITY" which was in a sinking condition. He left the "LEEDS CITY" in Manchester to sit for his Mate's Certificate and subsequently joined the s.s. "TACOMA CITY" as Second Officer early in 1940. After trading continuously in the North Atlantic, the
vessel became the victim of a mine whilst at anchor in the Mersey on 13th March 1941.
After some leave, Captain Lemon joined the "BRADGLEN" as Second Officer, under the command of Captain Lawday. After only one transatlantic round voyage, this ship was sunk by a mine in the Thames Estuary on 9th September 1941. A short"survivor's leave" followed and then he joined the m.v. "ATLANTIC CITY" in October for what proved to be an eleven month voyage to the Eastern Mediterranean. This trip ended in October 1942, after which he obtained his Master's Certificate.
Having successfully crossed this hurdle, Captain Lemon joined the m.v. "HOUSTON CITY" in January 1943 at Glasgow, as Second Officer, under the command of Captain Paul, for a trip to the Western end of the Mediterranean. This was at the height of the fighting in Tunisia. The Luftwaffe did their utmost to prevent supplies reaching the Allied Forces and the convoy had their full attention from leaving Glasgow to its arrival at Bona (now called Annaba). They did not give up after arrival at Bona, but to no avail. The cargo was safely delivered and the vessel returned to Glasgow, where Captain Lemon left to join the s.s."MADRAS CITY" as Chief Officer in June 1943. He spent the remainder of the war
on this vessel, trading in the North Atlantic, North Pacific and Indian Ocean.
At the end of the war with Japan, the "MADRAS CITY" was in Bombay. Captain Lemon was appointed a Director of Sir William Reardon Smith & Sons Limited on 15th August 1973 and of Reardon Smith Line Limited on 25th February 1975.
He celebrated his Fifty Years with the Company on 14th March 1982 and, at a luncheon to be given in his honour, he will be presented with a pair of silver plates.
In expressing our appreciation to Captain Lemon for his many years of loyal and faithful service, we also extend our good wishes to him and Mrs.Lemon for their retirement and wish them good health and much happiness in the years ahead.

As Editor of the Newsletter, I would like to add my thanks and appreciation to Captain Lemon for the contribution he has made through the interesting articles he has submitted. I am most indebted to him for his help on many occasions and trust that he will continue to make his contribution in his retirement. Pam Ward. Printed in the RSL Newsletter March 1982. No. 146.